Thursday, December 31, 2009

The year that was.

I remember, I slept during New Year's Eve this year. January 1st was a Thursday (or a Sunday?), we had to head to church by 4 a m.

I remember, it was either January or February when a good old friend sneaked in to our house at midnight to learn how to cook Adobo and to get some bottles of liquor. He is my first love. And we're friggin good friends--really good friends.

I remember, I and my favorite legwork partner, Juday, pulled off a local investigative story about rice subsidy by March. It was a real achievement.

I remember, summer was rubbing-shoulders-with-journalism-moguls-and-gods-and-demigods season. I met two really great friends and workmates.

I remember, it was June when I met a good friend at a fast food chain near our house to be a crying shoulder. It was a Saturday night. I enjoyed listening to his stories and eating my black forest sundae, even on a full stomach.

I remember a friend left for Europe for her studies by August. It was my birthmonth. I felt nothing but bitterness. But I think everything is fine with us right now.

I remember, my brother went back to the Philippines on my birthday. It was a surprise-- and it was the best gift I received this year.

I remember, that same month, Bro. Erano Manalo died. I was having a problem on my faith that time. I'm still searching for the answers to my question but that incident made me feel something I did not expect.

I remember, I got called back to my dream office for a research work I think mid-September. It brought back summer memories, sans my internmates. (I miss them! and the paper cranes!)

I remember, I got stranded by typhoon Ondoy for 8 hours. I slept at my grandma's house wearing her panties, my cousin's shirt and my aunt's shorts. It was weird. Water inside our house was chest-deep. A friend rode a boat to borrow money for her baby.  We had a week off, but I had to clean the house the entire week. It was a humbing experience.

I remember, I took early exams, submitted my requirements one week ahead to have an early vacation. My family went to Singapore for a week of lavish spending, everyday tours and limitless food (*check parallelism)!

I remember, I slacked off the entire first two months of the second semester. I was in my weakest point I lost self-esteem, was on the edge. But I know, I'm getting through.

This may not be my best year norr my happiest year. But I know, I learned a lot.

Hello 2010! Hello real adulthood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share