Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Too much formality*

Instead of exhausting all of my raves in a kilometric piece, let me just enumerate the things I hate about or related to formality.

1. LETTERHEADS
Especially when you're the head of the company and the letterhead is being used against you. I haven't been a head of any company but I have experienced a similar situation. How would you feel?

2. REQUEST LETTERS
I don't exactly hate request letters because most of the time, they serve as proof especially in they-don't-care-how-long-you-wait-or-how-many-times-you-call-until-you-get-tired-and-they-forget-about-yourr-request offices. But sometimes, however, these offices require you to change the addressees because they cannot process the requests since if it is not addressed to the proper office, they cannot ask the office to process the request since, according to the letter, the request is not for them. Other times, they require additional and higher authorities to sign the request letters because it is their STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, regardless if you have been going back and forth and calling to follow up for two months. I bet they haven't learned the word CONSIDERATION yet.

3. STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE (SOP)
In matters which involve external relations, a company/organization/institution's SOP should publicize or at least inform people beforehand and not until when you have been lining up for three days, going up and down seventeen floors and going back and forth the office for centuries (And then the receiving secretary will tell you, "Sorry, you lack documents, sorry but we need a stamp on this area and not this area." Mind you, when the first time you went there, no sign, handbook, handout, public notice whatsoever says those things.).

And every office in that particular company/organization/institution should know that, otherwise, when the SOP in those offices contradict with each other, all they have for you is a 5-letter word: S-O-R-R-Y.

Talk about everything wasted.

4. DRESS CODE
I don't know if it is just my problem but in as much as I try to adhere to particular dress code in every occassion, either I find other people lost or I find myself wondering if I haven't really researched too well what is appropriate for the event. Who really knows the difference among smart casual, business casual, business and corporate attire? What should be worn if the dress code is semi-formal? How about cocktail attire?

I hate seeing people inappropriately dressed.. I especially hate it when I'm the one who is not appropriately dressed.

***

At the end of the day, when people learned to communicate with each other, they do it in a much more complex and complicated way that more often than not, it creates more misunderstandings than discernment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share