Monday, September 6, 2010

I came from a family of superstars: My Mama is a Super Momma (Part 2 of 4)

Name: Lucila Panela
Nickname: Lucy/Baby/Mama Bebe (to her pamangkins)
Hobbies/Interests: Insurance, Black clothes, Tagalog movies, food, Facebook, YM, Gumala
Favorite food: Cadbury chocolates and gulay from her gulay garden
Quotable quote: "Kung pagagalitan ka lang din, lubus-lubusin mo na!" (On convincing my friend to stay with us since she sneaked away from her house)


Whenever I tell people stories about my mom, usually about her internet-ing adventures, either people laugh or they'd say, "Nakakainggit naman mama mo." And those reactions are actually a pat on my back.



All my life, people have pictured my mom to be an uberly mataray and masungit person who usually nags at anyone. People usually remember her voice who seem to be always fighting with somebody (people, I'm telling you, it's normal). But maybe, they're scared and intimidated with my mother's strong persona that they were not able to know her better. She's a rockstar, you know.


I'm a bit picky eater because of her. Especially when it comes to menudo, spaghetti (Filipino style) and leche flan. Those are my favorite mom's recipes and by first glance, I can tell if that food won't taste like my mom's. And sometimes, I won't eat them. Even if I like them so much.


Math is a gift. It's either you have it or you don't (unless you have money to pay for Kumon). And by golly, I'm so intimidated seeing my mom's TOR! She aced all her math subjects! And she always said, "Algebra?! Ang dali-dali lang nun!" In my mind, "Ikaw na. Ikaw na magaling."


But that doesn't mean I didn't have her genes. I bet I'll grow up to be more like her--a nagger (hopefully not, peace mom! Loveyou!), a very very very tamad student, yes, my mom said she used to cram a lot (when I heard this story, I laughed hard!), mischievous (she also used to sneak in to go places), and that! She's gala (just like me).


No wonder I can get to her nerves at times, oh, a looooot of times.


But you know what's most special about her? She's like a superhero. She knows exactly what to do every time. Our family have been on a roller coaster for too long. We've already reached rock bottom but part of the reason why we can still manage to stand up is her determination to go on. Her resiliency is something all of  us in the family admire. (And I'm not saying my father and my brother are not resilient. They are.) But she's like a superhero, saving the Panela family just in the nick of time. ;-)


And maybe all mothers are like her, as she almost always forget to think about her self. It's always pop's, my brother's and my welfare first before her. Sometimes, even our extended family's and her friends' welfare first before her. She's got a really big heart, everyone fits in but herself.


I just hope, someday, she'll find pristine happiness and peace of mind. :-)


P.S. Tomorrow's her birthday, please greet her:
Mobile number: 09175421760
YM: baby_panela
Facebook: Lucila Panela






Note: NOTE: This series is a four-part blog entry that tells something about each member of the Panela family and why they're a bunch of superstars. :-) 
 Part 1: Potpot the little beauty queen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share